Andrew McCabe is one step closer to criminal prosecution after a source close to his legal team confirms to Fox News the Justice Department rejected his last minute appeal.
McCabe’s legal team recently met with the Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen to argue against federal charges for misleading investigators over his role and the media leak about the Clinton Foundation.
Jessie Liu, the US Attorney for DC recommended moving forward with charges based on the findings of 2018 Inspector General report, McCabe now a CNN contributor was fired over those findings within days of his retirement.
The Justice Department Watchdog Michael E Horowitz found McCabe “lacked candor on at least 4 separate occasions about his role & the media leak that confirm the FBI was investigating the Clinton Foundation a week before the 2016 Presidential election.
Horowitz also found violated FBI policy because the disclosure was not in the public interest rather it was designed to benefit McCabe & push back against criticism & he was compromised because his wife took more than $600,000 dollars from Democrats for a 2015 state senate race.
Last month McCabe filed a wrongful termination suit against the FBI & the Justice Department, tonight the state attorneys office is not commenting on any pending action but a legal expert said todays development ramps up the pressure on McCabe to cut a deal to potentially offer testimony against other FBI & Justice Dept officials. ~ Natalie
Andrew McCabe Faces Prospect of Indictment After DOJ Rejects Appeal
Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe could soon be facing an indictment after the Justice Department rejected his appeal to not pursue criminal charges for lying during an internal investigation.
An appeal from McCabe’s lawyers aimed at preventing a prosecution was rejected by Jeffrey Rosen, the deputy attorney general, two unnamed sources familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. It’s still unclear when federal prosecutors might announce charges.
The Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment by The Epoch Times.
U.S. Attorney Jessie Liu has reportedly recommended moving forward with the charges against McCabe, according to Fox News. Liu, who was confirmed on Sept. 25, 2017, had an extensive background within the DOJ, having served as the deputy chief of staff for the National Security Division (NSD), as counsel to the deputy attorney general, and as deputy assistant attorney general in the Civil Rights Division.
In March, Liu was appointed to lead the attorney general’s advisory committee as chairwoman by Barr. In a statement, Barr wrote that Liu is “an outstanding attorney with broad experience” who “is widely-respected, within the Department.”
Months after being removed from special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation, McCabe lied to DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz about authorizing a self-serving leak to the media. The inspector general later issued a report about McCabe’s repeated lies. Then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired McCabe in March last year based on the report’s findings.
Sessions noted that a DOJ investigation “concluded that Mr. McCabe had made an unauthorized disclosure to the news media and lacked candor—including under oath—on multiple occasions.”
The DOJ sent an email to McCabe, which said, “The Department rejected your appeal of the United States Attorney’s Office’s decision in this matter. Any further inquiries should be directed to the United States Attorney’s Office” according to a source close to McCabe’s legal team.
McCabe played a key role in the counterintelligence investigation of the Trump campaign that started in late July 2016, in the midst of the presidential election season.
The investigation, code named Crossfire Hurricane, was tainted with bias and potential abuse of surveillance powers. Text messages exchanged by then-FBI Deputy Assistant Director Peter Strzok, and his mistress, bureau attorney Lisa Page, demonstrated a strong dislike toward Trump and support for his presidential rival, Hillary Clinton. Page served as legal counsel for McCabe.
McCabe personally reviewed the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) application for a warrant to spy on former Trump campaign associate Carter Page. The bureau applied for the warrant using an unverified dossier of opposition research on Trump. The dossier was compiled by a foreign spy and ultimately paid for by the Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee.
Out of the fourteen FBI agents and executives who have been referred since Jan. 18 to the bureau’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) for mishandling classified information, only four of them have been fired, according to documents made public Aug. 6 by Judicial Watch.
Recently, McCabe joined CNN as a contributor, according to an Aug. 23 announcement by the network. The decision quickly drew backlash from critics.
Epoch Times reporter Ivan Pentchoukov contributed to this report.
Follow Bowen on Twitter: @BowenXiao3
— Read on m.theepochtimes.com/andrew-mccabe-faces-prospect-of-indictment-after-doj-rejects-appeal_3079697.html